The online newspaper of Notre Dame de Sion

Le Journal Live

National Honor Society Inducts New Members

Current National Honor Society members inducted 43 new members into the organization in a ceremony outside of school.

National+Honor+Society+inducted+43+new+members+Wednesday%2C+April+19.+
National Honor Society inducted 43 new members Wednesday, April 19.

Lily Coit

Lily Coit

Ellie Chaffee, Reporter

Forty-three students were inducted into National Honor Society during a ceremony held Wednesday, April 19 in the gym. However, instead of holding the ceremony during school hours, as it was in previous years, the ceremony was held after school at 7 p.m.

“Historically, the NHS induction has been an evening event,” math teacher and NHS sponsor Kristi Hilgenfeld said. “Only the last three to four years has it been during the school day.”

The induction ceremony had a few pros and one con, according to NHS President senior Ally Koehler. The pros included more parents being able to attend because it wasn’t during work hours, and other students who may not have been awarded entrance into NHS did not have to watch the ceremony. The only downside to the evening ceremony a timing issue. Students with after school commitments, such as sports, had little time to prep for the event.

“It was moved during the day so that all students could celebrate their peers’ accomplishment,” Hilgenfeld said. “Holding the event in the evening allows more families to attend.”

National Honor Society chapter members are chosen through the application process to be inducted, and must exemplify the four pillars of NHS: character, leadership, scholarship and service.

At the induction four students were chosen to speak about each of these four pillars and how the inducted members of NHS could exemplify them, while also including personal experiences. Seniors Ali Odermann spoke about character, Zoé Trouvé about leadership, Elsa Brundige about scholarship and Katie Byers about service. Class of 2000 alumna Emily Sinovic also spoke about the four pillars of NHS, stressing the importance of carrying them into one’s adult life.

“I liked the speeches about the four pillars the best out of the presentation because I felt that all four seniors really covered them well and used examples that everyone could connect with,” sophomore and new member Savannah Childress said.

The importance of the induction is recognized in schools nationwide as each NHS chapter holds a ceremony for their new members, according to Hilgenfeld. Although each chapter has its own traditions, the significance of the ceremonies are fairly similar. Becoming a member of NHS is an honor, according to Koehler.

“All of the hard work and dedication it takes to become a member deserves to be recognized with the ceremony,” Koehler said.