The online newspaper of Notre Dame de Sion

Le Journal Live

Food for Thought Benefits Redemptorist

Food for Thought resulted in all grades participating in collecting cans and helping the less fortunate.

Freshman Brynna Dow sings in the freshman Food For Thought skit “AmeriCANS Got Talent.”

Sydney San Agustin

Sydney San Agustin

Gracie Roberts, Reporter

Surpassing previous years, Food for Thought raised over 12 tons of non-perishable items for Redemptorist Social Services Center, compared to last year’s 10 tons. FFT ended Nov. 10 and as a result of surpassing the school-wide goal of eight tons, there will be a day off of school Dec. 13, the day before finals begin. 

I love Food for Thought because students rally together to help others. It boosts school spirit and is such an important part of our mission,” Student Council sponsor and Social Studies teacher Jennifer Brown-Howerton said.  “But most importantly, Redemptorist Social Services is able to feed so many families.”

There were also a competition between classes to see which grade could donate the most cans. The freshman came in fourth place with 2,955.62 pounds of cans. In third were the juniors with a total of 4,078.56 lbs of cans. In second place were the sophomores with a total of 5,359 lbs. Coming in first place, the seniors raised a total of 12,147.48 lbs of cans.

“I am beyond happy. My grade is so strong and my fellow STUCO women are amazing at pumping people up,” senior STUCO executive president Carolyn Dickey said. “They really push for people to want to be as involved as much as they can.”

Overall, the whole school raised 24,540.66 lbs which is 12.3 tons.  FFT is a drive that brings in cans and non-perishable cans and items. The raised food is then donated to Redemptorist and utilized to help feed those who are in need.

“It takes a lot of time and work to count the cans, but it’s all worth it in the end to stock Redemptorist shelves until next year,”  junior STUCO member Lilly Concannon said.