Le Journal Live

Tri-M Holds Recital to Benefit Safehome

The National Music Honors Society held their annual recital Nov. 14 raising over $700 to benefit the Safehome organization.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tri-M Holds Recital to Benefit Safehome

Sophomores Peyton Wade, Avery Kuhls and Emma Hutchin hold candles while performing a song at the Tri-M recital Nov. 14.

Molly Conway

Molly Conway

Molly Conway

Molly Conway, Reporter

Students in the National Music Honors Society presented a total of 18 different performances Nov. 14 raising over $700 to benefit the Safehome organization in Kansas City.

The crowd erupted in cheers after Tri-M president senior Lucy Steyer and senior Angela Sandoval performed Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen. Steyer played the trumpet and was accompanied by Sandoval who played the piano and sang. The duo met mid-stage after their performance and hugged each other while beaming. Steyer was not only pleased with her performance but also with how the overall recital went.

“It went really well, beyond my expectations,” Steyer said. “Everyone performing did a great job and it turned out better than I had ever expected.”

Steyer and Tri-M Vice President senior Clare Lappin were in charge of organizing this year’s event. Each year the National Music Honors Society, Tri-M, selects a local charity they want to help and organize the annual Tri-M recital to benefit them.

“We chose the Safehome charity this year because we wanted it to go with theme of the musical. And since “Cinderella” is from a rough home life, we wanted to help people who might be in a similar situation,” Lappin said.

Safehome is an organization that aims to break the cycle of domestic abuse and offers shelter for victims and their children by providing them with shelter, counseling, and prevention education in our community. 

I was thrilled to learn the TriM students at Sion picked Safehome as their charity of choice this year,” Safehome Director of Philanthropy Stephanie Volk said. “I think it is empowering that an all-girls high school picked an organization that helps women build self-esteem.”

At the end of the recital, six sophomores, three juniors and two seniors were inducted into the National Music Honors Society. Holding candles with music notes on them, inductees pledged themselves to be good examples of the fine arts department and inspire others with music.

“I thought that the recital went really well and that everyone sounded amazing,” sophomore and inductee Anna Switzer said. “I’m really excited to be apart of Tri-M for the next two years.”

Molly Conway, Print Managing Editor

Favorite Show: Grey’s Anatomy

Spirit Animal: Dolphin

Guilty Pleasure: Making cookies

Pet Peeve: People not using turn signals

Favorite Place...