Le Journal Live

Robotics Team Goes Onto State

The robotics team qualifies for state and wins awards at this year’s qualifier competition.

Robot 7095, built by the robotics team to carry objects the size of a volleyball, will be moving onto the state competition.

Lily Drouin

Lily Drouin

Lily Drouin, Reporter

The robotics team qualified three times for State at the home qualifier Dec. 9 in the gymnasium. They received 2nd for the Inspire award, 2nd place for the Connect award and ranked first as a team and 10th out of 25 teams when paired with two other individual teams.

“For this qualifier we have been preparing since September, as well as the meet in November and we’ll be preparing for state now,” junior Katherine Rosasco said.

The robot was built based on the competition challenge The First Tech Challenge creates. This year’s challenge was lifting and being able to move volleyball sized objects. The Storm robot is able to lift and move quickly, according to junior Samantha Wilson.

“We hope to work as a team and develop our skills with teamwork and being gracious with the other teams competing,” junior Sade-Joy Dugbo said.

The Connect award is based on outreach from a robotics team. The winner of the award is chosen based on how they promoted robotics and inspired others to join. This along with the Inspire award, based on the robot itself and presentation, qualified the robotics team for State, as well as hosting the competition.

“The robotics team hopes to figure out what all the other robots are up to and find out where we are in the level of ability so we can work on moving forward,” Wilson said.

The robotics team will be having a meet January 27 at the Metropolitan Community College and State February 24 in Rolla, Missouri.

“It felt great to win. I was so excited and proud of the girls,” Robotics Head Coach and Mathmatics Teacher Mac McGory said.