Le Journal Live

Interfaith Group Sorts Clothes

An interfaith group sorted clothes March 7 at Turnstyles, Catholic Charities new thrift store.

Freshman Mattie Mills puts tags on clothes to hang up for sale prior to opening day at Turnstyles March 7.

Ava Rawson

Ava Rawson

Ava Rawson, Reporter

Freshman Grace Riley, Mattie Mills and junior Ava Rawson participated in an interfaith field trip to Catholic Charities new non-profit thrift store opening March 19. The students helped prepare the store for its opening by sorting and hanging clothes for three hours in the morning. The thrift store is planning on affecting up to 200,000 members of the community a month, according to Volunteer Coordinator Kristen Filardo.

“As I was entering Turnstyles I was really excited to get to work and to see everyone from the group,” Mills said.

Before a get together at the end of the year, all the members of both interfaith groups are invited to a holocaust remembrance service April 10. For the end of the year event, the high school has offered to host, according to Mission Director Penny Selle. All members of the interfaith groups from Hyman Brand Hebrew Academy, Rockhurst High School and the Islamic School of Greater Kansas City are planning to attend, according to Selle. In addition to the members of the interfaith group, the entirety of the schools would be included from the Islamic School of Greater Kansas City and the Hyman Brand Hebrew Academy.

“We are planning on inviting all of the people that are participating in our Yom Hashoah Holocaust memorial service,” Selle said. “It is an interfaith service related to remembering the Holocaust.”

The administrators from the schools are taking cues from the students as to what the group would be doing when they get together. It has been suggested that it would be a coffee house atmosphere event with music and a poetry slam, according to Selle.

“I’m most looking forward to being able to see the group of kids again because I always have fun being with them,” Riley said. “They are always so fun and it’s amazing to see, experience, and learn about the other religions.”