Le Journal Live

Sexual Assault Discussions Held in Maisons

Maisons paired up to talk together about sexual assault in our community and how to prevent it.

Senior Loulya Alabed holds her laptop at the front of a classroom as she reads questions and leads a discussion between maisons April 12.

Lily Drouin

Lily Drouin

Lily Drouin, Reporter

Adding onto the activities surrounding sexual assault month, maisons paired up and had a discussion with a student leader to talk more in depth about sexual assault and the  Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault program April 14. The discussions consisted of general questions about the topic and students discussed the answers.

“I decided to become a volunteer because I feel that it is very important to discuss sexual assault as a community,” student leader junior Sade-Joy Dugbo said. “I got the opportunity to hear different opinions and strengthen my relationships with my sion sisters.”

Each student leader was chosen to start a discussion informing the student body about sexual assault, whether it be in college, high school, or anywhere in general.

“We thought, in the small groups, the girls would have more of an opportunity to share their thoughts and perhaps brainstorm ideas as to ways we can help prevent sexual assault in our community,” history teacher and Student Council Sponsor Jennifer Brown-Howerton said.

The importance of having this meeting in maisons was to emphasize the importance of talking about sexual assault because very few are reported. MOCSA is a program recommended and highly important because of all the assaults happening in today’s society and no one is immune, according to senior Social Awareness and Community Action president Loulya Alabed.

“I just want to do my part in educating girls at Sion because I think a lot of girls here live in a bubble and we never expect it to happen to us or one of our friends,” Alabed said.

During April, students listened to presentations from MOSCA representatives in their classes as well as listening to a panel of speakers talk about the topic. Later this month, there will be a screening of “The Hunting Ground” April 17, a film about college students who were raped on campus.