Le Journal Live

Beanie Week Welcomes Freshmen

Maison seniors presented freshmen with beanies at the annual beanie presentation on Aug. 27.

Senior+Liz+Oltjen+introduces+herself+to+freshmen+Samantha+Phillips+and+Tess+Tappan+after+presenting+them+with+their+beanies+at+the+beanie+presentation+Aug.+27.+
Senior Liz Oltjen introduces herself to freshmen Samantha Phillips and Tess Tappan after presenting them with their beanies at the beanie presentation Aug. 27.

Molly Conway

Molly Conway

Molly Conway, Managing Editor

Carrying on the tradition of over 50 years, the freshmen were presented with their beanies made by maison seniors at the beanie presentation Aug. 27.

The freshmen are required to wear their decorated hats all week except for when in class. The purpose of the beanies is for the rest of the school to welcome the freshmen by learning their names and helping them out when needed, Senior Class Sponsor Jenny Brown-Howerton said.

Starting off the assembly, new school President Alicia Kotarba noted that beanies are the first crowning for students, and graduation is the last.

“It’s what you do between these two crownings,” Kotarba said. “Support each other and show up for each other.”

Freshmen Katy Gromowsky and Lauren Ellwanger watch other freshmen receive their beanies during the beanie presentation Aug. 27.