Le Journal Live

Black History Month Wraps Up

As Black History Month reaches its end, Respect Diversity Club’s celebrations conclude and will be furthered with an all-school community presentation titled “Lift Every Voice” later in March.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Black History Month Wraps Up

Respect Diversity Club’s theme for Black History Month was Lift Every Voice. An assembly will be held in March celebrating the theme.

Maleah Downton

Maleah Downton

Maleah Downton

Maleah Downton, Editorial Editor

Over the month of February, Respect Diversity Club led various activities in an effort to celebrate Black History Month and will host an assembly in March for the whole student body.

Preparations for the month began as early as November. Club officers settled on an overarching theme for each week. The goal of the celebrations, according to RDC Co-President senior Annissa McGinne, was to bring to light black history outside of the few names students read about in their textbooks.

“I feel like a lot of people don’t know about black history,” McGinne said. “It needed to be presented and exposed to the student body.”

The theme for week one was “Black Leaders.” Over daily announcements, club members acknowledged the work and contribution of specific black individuals who impacted black lives and culture. Those celebrated include former First Lady Michelle Obama, announced by senior Loghann Wilson, author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, announced by senior Kendall Rogers and singer Aretha Franklin, written by junior Lendsey Cardenas.

“People don’t consider black women as relevant when looking at history,” club member junior Tehya Frederick said. “We should be represented better.”

Week two focused on “Black Traditions and Culture.” With this week, RDC hosted a bake sale Feb. 12 during block lunch periods. The bake sale consisted of various deserts including pound cake, brownies, lemon bars, cookies and more. To go alongside with the bake sale the club members played various songs with significance to black culture such as Sam Cooke’s “A Change is Gonna Come” and New Edition’s “Candy Girl.”

Maleah Downton
Junior Brie Bowe’s artwork honors Lorna Simpson, a photographer and multi-media artist. Students in art classes emulated art from African-American artists during February.

“I would like to inform people about black culture because it’s a part of me,” RDC Secretary junior Maya Scott said. “This month of events was a really good chance to share who I am and my community.”

Week three of February emphasized “The Arts.” Students in art classes created pieces to honor black artists. The pieces took inspiration from the style of the artists work. Artists honored include Mickalene Thomas by freshman Emory Etzenhouser, Lorna Simpson by junior Brie Bowes, Samella Lewis by junior Ceresa Munjak-Khoury, Nina Chanel by junior Peyton Wiewel, Julie Mehreto by sophomore Kate Vankeirsbilck and more. Some of these art pieces were also present at the all-school Mass the week before, Feb. 13 and were also displayed around the school for the duration of the month.

“People assume when minorities do something that it is meant for minorities or has to have some symbolic message,” RDC Co-President senior Safa Khan said. “I think that’s why minority artists aren’t’ given their deserved credit and recognition.”

RDC will host their “Lift Every Voice” event later in March to conclude their celebrations. The specific date will be announced within the next week. The event will tackle bringing awareness to microaggressions while offering ways in which students can help in lifting up their peers. The event earned its name from the lyrics of the iconic black national anthem “Lift Every Voice and Sing.”

“I think the goal of this event is to give recognition to those who feel that they don’t have a voice in the school or whatever environment they’re in,” Co-Vice President junior Inaya Khan said. “We want to share their experiences and help educate each other.”

Maleah Downton, Editorial Editor

Favorite Show: Grey's Anatomy

Spirit Animal: Peacock

Guilty Pleasure: Mickey Mouse, will forever and always love him

Pet Peeve: Pronouncing crayon...