Le Journal Live

Spring Play is by Women, For Women

Students begin rehearsals for the upcoming spring play, which embodies what it means to be a woman.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring Play is by Women, For Women

Senior Tess Prusa rehearses one of her monologues from the play about a 
conversation between mother and 
daughter.

Senior Tess Prusa rehearses one of her monologues from the play about a conversation between mother and daughter.

Emma Hutchin

Emma Hutchin

Emma Hutchin

Emma Hutchin, Reporter

The upcoming spring play, “Love, Loss, and What I Wore,” features monologues from numerous women about important life events, and will be showing at Avila University March 22 and 23.

Each monologue is a different story about women, told by women. They describe a time in their lives that was impactful and illustrate what they were wearing when it happened. The play was chosen this year because it showcases being a woman through the many struggles they may face, according to Music Director Elizabeth Mulkey.

“I chose it because it’s a great representation of women and the many unique struggles we go through,” Mulkey said. “Our theme is community this year, and we are a community of women.”

“Love, Loss, and What I Wore,” written by Nora and Delia Ephron, was produced off-Broadway in 2009. It is composed of 28 different stories that highlight female identity. The script alternates between monologues and “clotheslines.” Clotheslines involve the entire cast, and each person comments on a broader topic, according to Mulkey.

“It could be anything from their first bra, to dressing up like Madonna, or wearing black,” Mulkey said. “Cast members are going to write their own clotheslines and we are going to have some of the student body submit lines for the show and audience members do the same during intermission.”

There are many differences between the musical and the play, apart from just the music aspect. The energy level of the musical is exhausting, while plays are more intimate, according to Mulkey. “Love, Loss, and What I Wore” involves raw acting with no scenery or costumes. Cast members instead will be dressed head to toe in black, and a single easel will be placed on the stage.

“Last year was a comedic play, and this is a serious or dramatic play,”    senior Tess Prusa said. “There definitely is a completely different vibe to it, and it requires a lot of different thinking. It’s serious and dramatic, but it’s so real. It’s real people talking.”

The show’s monologues are pulled from the book written by Ilene Beckerman and describe how a piece of clothing can embody a memory. Personal stories create an environment where the audience can feel connected to the actresses.

“My favorite part is how focused the stories are on women,” senior Tempest Malone said. “I think everyone is going to be able to relate to it.”

Emma Hutchin, Reporter

Favorite show: Friends

Spirit Animal: Turtle

Guilty Pleasure: Keeping Up With the Kardashians

Biggest Pet Peeve: Slow Walkers

Emojii That Describes...