“Forming” Forgiveness

The annual Reconciliation service centered around pottery and the power of forgiveness.

Senior+Katie+Rosasco+and+art+teacher+Michael+Pesselato+helped+connect+the+lines+between+pottery+and+forgiveness.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

“Forming” Forgiveness

Senior Katie Rosasco and art teacher Michael Pesselato helped connect the lines between pottery and forgiveness.

Jenna Barackman

Jenna Barackman

Jenna Barackman

Jenna Barackman, Reporter

The phrase “We are all jars of clay” was showcased while students were invited to participate in Reconciliation in the gym April 4.

Six priests from various different churches volunteered to participate: Father Mick Roach, Father Garry Richmier, Father Matthew Brumleve, Father Leonard Gicharu and Monsignor Brad Offutt. Campus minister Stephanie Pino-Dressman planned the service centered Corinthians 4:5 which mentions pottery and molding clay. The ceramics classes made pottery in front of the school to help illustrate the themes.

“I love what they do in the art department,” Pino-Dressman said. “I constantly walk through the art lab and make spiritual connections. Ceramics fit perfectly into the Reconciliation service because it was a great way to keep people focused.”

Seniors Kristen Rogge and Katie Rosasco made pottery during the ceremony in front of the school as art teacher Michael Pesselato spoke about the process of creating pottery. Students were asked by Pino-Dressman to think of ways to connect Reconciliation with shaping clay as Rogge and Rosasco worked.

“I really liked being able to connect my art with my spirituality,” Rogge said. “It was so meditative and I was highly focused. It felt really good to connect two important aspects of my life.”

Students watched the music video for “Come As You Are” by Crowder and senior Kendall Rogers also gave a speech entitled “The Power of Forgiveness,” in which she discussed her own black identity and forgiving those who have offended her in the past.

“Kendall’s speech was so incredibly inspiring and brave,” junior Helen Willis said. “It genuinely inspired me and opened my eyes to a lot of things. It was just the most moving and awesome thing.”

After each speech, song or presentation, students were given questions to reflect on as groups of about 30 students at a time went to Reconciliation held in the Grande Salle. After Reconciliation, students were invited to quietly pray in the chapel or return to the gym.

“I always look forward to Reconciliation, but this year I thought everything was done really well,” junior Claire Maguire said. “It was really engaging and I liked how there were constant themes throughout.”