Le Journal Live

A Night Full of Enchantment

Juniors and seniors gathered for an "Enchanted Forest" Prom.

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Night Full of Enchantment

Seniors Tempest Malone and Grace Hopewell take a picture in the photobooth at Prom April 6. The theme for the prom was “Enchanted Forest.”

Madeline Hammett

Madeline Hammett

Madeline Hammett

Emma Hutchin, Reporter

Prom was held Saturday, April 6 at the Sheraton Hotel in Overland Park, Kansas, and the theme for the night was “Enchanted Forest.”

The doors opened at approximately 6:30 p.m., with social hour lasting until the toast and crowning at 7:15. Prom Committee had put in months of work during study halls and over weekends and were thrilled to see the outcome of the dance, according to Prom Committee Sponsor, April Schendel.

“We did a lot of DIY for decorations this year, so the committee had to be really organized in their planning and commit to executing everything,” Schendel said. “Of course we also had to keep up with our everyday lives.”

Each guest was given a specialty drink ticket which allowed for a choice between a fresh watermelon or mint chiller before dinner. Students and their dates entered into the ballroom for the toast to the seniors led by the juniors and prom committee members, and the two attendees Jordan Harrison and Keely Roudebush were announced. Senior Sarah White was crowned Prom Queen, and the ballroom burst into applause.

“I am so honored and thankful that I was even considered, and I was so surprised,” White said. “I was so shocked I didn’t even have my shoes on. My friend had told me to slip them on before they announced who won, I thought that was ridiculous, and then they called my name.”

After the toast, dinner was served to each table. Every guest was given a fresh salad with veggies and a choice between a homemade pear vinaigrette or classic ranch dressing. For vegetarians, dinner consisted of a butternut squash ravioli apart from the alternate chicken, whipped potatoes, and vegetables. Dessert was composed of a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing or a chocolate cake.

“The most challenging part about prom was probably putting everyone’s ideas together to form one big event,” Prom Committee Chair junior Sophia Angrisano said. “There was a long time where we were just planning and designing before we could even order materials.”

At around 8 p.m, the lights dimmed, the music got louder, and students began to hit the dance floor. A collection of songs ranging from “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen to “Sucker” by the Jonas Brothers kept guests on their feet. Once the clock struck 9:30, students began to file out of the doors and Prom Committee members began cleaning up after the dance.

“I think Prom was amazing. It is honestly better than I imagined,” Angrisano said. “Everyone on the committee did such an amazing job making it as great as it was.”

Emma Hutchin, Reporter

Favorite show: Friends

Spirit Animal: Turtle

Guilty Pleasure: Keeping Up With the Kardashians

Biggest Pet Peeve: Slow Walkers

Emojii That Describes...