Competing Poetry

Students competed in the Poetry Out Loud competition Tuesday, Nov. 12.

Sela Kincaid

Sela Kincaid, Video Editor

Sela Kincaid
Sophomore Olivia Mancina recited “Ways of Talking” at the Poetry Out Loud competition Nov. 12. Mancina won the school competition and will advance to Regionals.

Poetry Out Loud, a poem reciting competitions, was held Tuesday, Nov. 12 at 3:30 p.m in the library. 

“It’s an art form and I love it because it is a unique way to express your feeling,” junior Mattie Mills said.

Students and teachers were invited to come to watch. This competition is held by the English department, with English teacher Casey Engel taking the lead.

“Sometimes finding a poem is like trying to pick a needle out of a haystack,” Engel said.  “So, I help facilitate that process for my students.”

Engel is in charge of the Poetry Out Loud Club here at Sion, POL has been conducted at Sion for years, but this year is the first with a club dedicated specifically to the competition. Mills and sophomore Olivia Mancina are part of this club and both competed in the competition. In addition to the two competitors, sophomore Tyra Frazier, freshman Brianna Legette, freshman Iyanna Coleman, junior Inaya Khan, freshman Kaila Traylor and freshman Samy Mora recited poems as well.  

“I spent about a week memorizing,” Mills said. “It takes a while.”  

Both Mills and Mancina presented three different poems, the requests for the future Regionals competition in January are that the student must memorize and perform three poems, one being pre 20th century and another being less than 25 lines. 

Sela Kincaid
Junior Mattie Mills recited “The Wish, By a Young Lady” at the Poetry Out Loud competition Nov. 12.

“This was my first experience with Poetry Out Loud and so it felt a little scary but in the end,” Mancina said. “I felt confident going up after the first poem.”

Mancina was announced as the winner of the school’s competition Nov. 13. She will now advance to Regionals, and possibly on to the State and National competitions. Engel said she is very proud of both students and their poems.

“I had the toughest time driving to school today because Olivia and Mattie are so talented,” Engel said. “I want to take them both to regionals and beyond.”