Le Journal Live

Golf Succeeds At First Tournament

Swinging with purpose, the golf team aims to have multiple qualifiers for State.

Junior Mia McLey, freshman Catherine Sade, junior Kendall Rogers, freshman Averi Myrick, sophomore Kamryn Rogers and junior Megan Flanagan, respectively, show off their medals after winning the tournament at Hoots Hollow Golf Club Aug. 18.

Submitted by Kendall Rogers

Submitted by Kendall Rogers

Molly Conway, Reporter

The golf team kicked off their season with a tournament win against Platte County Aug. 18. Held at Hoots Hollow Golf Club, six golfers earned a total score of 84, defeating Platte County by one stroke. Winning a Varsity tournament with a junior varsity team, junior Kendall Rogers is hopeful for the remainder of the season.

“Seeing everyone compete to the best of their ability and being able to win the tournament overall as a team was a great way to start the season and made me even more confident that this season is going to be successful,” Rogers said.

Last season, sophomore Barbara Mae King was the only member of the golf team to qualify for State. This year’s goal for the golf team is to have multiple competitors in the state tournament.

“Competing last year at State was a really cool experience but since I was the only one got to compete it felt like something was missing since not all of my teammates were there with me. I’m hoping our whole team will qualify this year so we can compete together,” King said.

The Storm will host the annual MOKAN tournament on Aug. 29 at Blue Hills Country Club. The varsity golfers head into the tournament determined to compete to the best of their abilities as they will be competing against teams all around the metro area.

“The goal would be to have five girls compete in State this year. We obviously have to make it through districts and sectionals first, but if the girls continue to play like they did in the first tournament, we should be set up for a successful season,”  Varsity Head Coach Dana Hoeper said.