The online newspaper of Notre Dame de Sion

Le Journal Live

Road to Winter Sports

Coaches and students prepare for the upcoming season.

During+the+State+competition+Feb.+17%2C+2017%2C+sophomore+Bridget+Schumm+is+ready+to+take+dive+off+the+starting+block+to+swim+in+a+team+relay.+
During the State competition Feb. 17, 2017, sophomore Bridget Schumm is ready to take dive off the starting block to swim in a team relay.

Lexi Smith, Le Flambeau

Lexi Smith, Le Flambeau

Melissa Koppers, Reporter

As fall sports come to a close, tryouts for winter sports are beginning. Thirty-seven students are trying out for the upcoming basketball season. Coaching positions are switching around with a new freshman coach Chad Lynn and Bree Kisner as the new varsity assistant coach. While the search for a JV coach continues, the first game of the season will be  Nov. 17 at home against St. Teresa’s Academy. 

“I really want to enjoy every day rather than look forward to a certain thing,” Head Varsity Basketball Coach Kate Pilgreen said.

Swim and Dive tryouts will start Monday, Nov. 6 and will last until the Friday, Nov. 10. This season the team is  now in a small school class, according to MSHSAA By changing the class size, double the amount of girls will be able to compete in and qualify for State, according to head swim coach Kelly Timson. The captains for swim are Lexi Smith and Ellie Magsamen while the dive captains are Grace Frame, Sammie Nesslein and Mandy Mayer. The assistant swim coach is Lisa Cocks and the dive coach is Shelly King. 

“When we get to State we haven’t placed and swam in finals so I think it will increase our chance of swimming in finals it would be nice to score points and that type of thing,” Timson said.