Le Journal Live

Get to Know Coach Kisner

Peek into the career of the new Assistant Varsity Basketball coach, Bree Kisner.

Assistant+Varsity+Basketball+Coach+Bree+Kisner+prepares+for+a+home+game+against+Park+Hill+Dec.+11.+
Assistant Varsity Basketball Coach Bree Kisner prepares for a home game against Park Hill Dec. 11.

Lily Drouin

Lily Drouin

Lily Drouin, Reporter

QUESTION: When did you start at Sion and what is your favorite part so far?

ANSWER: “I accepted the Varsity Assistant position this fall. My favorite part about Sion would have to be the girls. I’ve never met a group of ladies quite like them before. Their energy and pure love for the game is contagious and it’s a great feeling to be a part of such a special group.”

QUESTION: Why did you decide to come to Sion?

ANSWER: “I decided to come for many reasons. An all-girl school is an environment that advocates feminism. The environment educates females on women’s right on the grounds of politics, careers and economic equality to men. As a female in the ‘coaching’ profession, you understand the struggles that females face in a male-dominated sports world.”

QUESTION: What inspired your interest in basketball?

ANSWER: “What interested me the most about basketball even from the time I was a kid is the action never stops. Every single play is exciting and a team trailing by 20 points with three minutes left to play can still win. I also love that it’s a team sport which helps build character and camaraderie between two individuals.”

QUESTION: When did you start playing basketball?

ANSWER: “I started playing basketball when I was about 4 years old.”

QUESTION: What are your greatest achievements in basketball?

ANSWER: “My greatest achievement in basketball would have to be winning a DII National Championship at Emporia State. Some individual awards include: All-Conference all four years in High School, All-State two years in a row in High School, DiRenna Award Finalist and Top Leading Scorer senior year in Metro with 26.4 a game.”

QUESTION: What is your favorite basketball memory?

ANSWER: “My favorite memory in basketball would have to be sophomore year in high school. We were playing our rival Truman in a boy-girl doubleheader and the gym was packed wall to wall. My older brother was waiting with his team to take the court after the girl’s game had finished and it felt like the entire town of Independence was there watching. We were down by five with nine seconds left. We came down and I hit a quick three to pull us within two points. With less than four seconds left my teammate got a steal and tossed it up court to me in the corner. I shot a fade away three from the deep corner and got that and one on the play. The gym went crazy and the boys team came and picked me up off the ground. It was such a surreal moment that I not only got to share with my friends and teammates but also my number one fan, my brother.”

QUESTION: Are you a Kansas City native?

ANSWER: “I am a KC native. I was born in Independence and lived there until I was 3. Shortly after my 3rd birthday my brother, mother and myself moved to Greenwood to live with my grandparents until I was 6. From there we moved back to Independence with my new stepdad and have been there ever since.”

QUESTION: What is your favorite thing to do not counting basketball?

ANSWER: “When I am not in a gym I’m usually with my family and friends. I love being outside and most of my friends would tell you I am an adrenaline junky.”