Le Journal Live

Irish Cup Victory Closes Out Regular Season

The Storm triumphed over St. Teresa’s Academy during STA’s senior night Saturday, Feb. 24.

Kaitlin Jones, Features Editor

After beating St. Teresa’s Academy 50-42, seniors Meghan Frerking and Amaya Adams hold the Irish Cup while laughing and posing for a picture Saturday, Feb. 24.

Cheers and chants coming from both student sections battle to fill the gym and gain the other spectators’ attention. Front and back handspring challenges from both the cheerleaders and St. Teresa’s Academy’s pep leaders during timeouts lifted the crowd’s noise even higher. Alongside several turnovers and steals amongst both teams in the first half, the scoring seemed to alternate almost simultaneously in a high-intensity rivalry game Saturday, Feb. 24. In the second half of the game, the Storm slowly pulled away from the Stars ending the game with a final score of 50-42.

“The game went phenomenally. Beating any team twice during the regular season is amazing, especially STA,” Head Varsity Basketball Coach and Athletic Director Kate Pilgreen said. “I think it was a great start for our postseason District games.”

I don’t think the Irish Cup will go anywhere for a long time.”

— Senior Co-Captain Sarah Totta

The game was originally scheduled to be played at STA Feb. 22. but due to weather conditions was postponed to Feb. 24. This gave the team extra time to mentally and physically prepare for the away rivalry game, according to senior guard Amaya Adams.

“I think we were prepared to win coming into the game,” Adams said. “We really stepped up in our practices which helped us play together and ultimately win.”

The student section was filled with wrapped hands and Everlast boxing gear as the theme for the game was “The Final Showdown.” Scream team leaders and members led the high-energy chants for the game.

“Even though [our] crowd was small, I was really proud of the girls that were there,” senior Scream Team Leader Aidan McEnerney said. “There were good vibes even though it was a rivalry game.”

This game was the last STA game of the season for the six seniors on the team as well as the last regular season game. This game was played for the Irish Cup, a trophy and tradition that has been played between the two schools for over a decade. The Storm defeated the Stars for the second year in a row. The team chemistry is at an all-time high now, according to senior co-captain and varsity guard Sarah Totta.

“I don’t think the Irish Cup will go anywhere for a long time,” Totta said. “I believe the team will hold their own against STA next year for sure.”

Districts start Tuesday, Feb. 27 with the first round against the East High School Bears at Center High School at 5:30 p.m. Two other games are a possibility of being played to win Districts, one against Lincoln Preparatory Academy and the other winner of the District Semi-final. These games are based on a win each round; a one-and-done tournament. This rivalry win against STA was a positive start towards their District run, according to Totta.

“Our team is very confident heading into districts because of the success we have had ending our regular season,” Totta said. “We are looking forward to playing Lincoln Prep again and hopefully advancing through Districts with a title.”