Le Journal Live

Starting On the Right Foot

Varsity Soccer defeats St. Michael the Archangel 6-0 for the first game of the season.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Starting On the Right Foot

Senior Meghan Frerking looks up to bass the ball in the first half of the soccer game against St. Micheal the Archangel March 20.

Lilly Concannon

Lilly Concannon

Lilly Concannon

Lily Drouin, Reporter

Starting the season at home, the Varsity soccer team swept the field against St. Michael the Archangel with a score of 6-0 March 20. To kick off the game, freshman Katelyn Brinkman scored the first goal of the season.

“It felt amazing because it is a great way to start not only the game, but the season,” Brinkman said. “The team worked well together by communicating supportively really well with each other especially for the first game.”

Within the game, Varsity co-captain junior Gabby Grimaldi scored two goals after keeping the ball downfield and limiting  St. Michael the Archangel’s ball touches, helping to win the game.

“It felt really good to win the game since it is the start of the season and it’s always nice to start with a win, ” said Grimaldi.

Soccer tryouts were Feb. 26 – March 2 and as a new team with fresh faces, the team was anxious to play their first game of the season, according to Varsity Head Coach Matt Darby.

“After two weeks of practice, you are a bit ready to get out onto the field and play someone other than yourself,” Darby said.  

Even though the season started out with a win, the team is always improving their skills to be better, as well as supporting each other, according to Brinkman.

“Winning this game made me feel really proud of my team and I am excited to continue the season with them,” Brinkman said.  

Lily Drouin, Reporter

Walkout Song: “Bicycle” by Queen
Guilty Pleasure: “Fuller House”
Favorite Food: Shrimp tacos
Favorite TV Show: “That 70’s Show”...