Le Journal Live

Field Hockey Cuts Players for First Time

With an overwhelming number of players trying out, the field hockey team was forced to make cuts.

Freshman Grace Powers hits the ball away from junior Lilly Denney during the Purple and White field hockey scrimmage Aug. 28.

Ana Pendergast

Ana Pendergast

Ana Pendergast, Managing Web Editor

Field Hockey made cuts for the first time. Over 50 students tried out for field hockey this fall, 17 of which were freshmen. The ideal team size is about 36, according to head coach Gwyn Savage. This years team will include 12 freshman, 12 sophomores, six juniors and six seniors.

“It was a logistical issue mostly. First thing there’s just too many,” Savage said. “We cannot coach the situation and the quality wise.”

Field Hockey has grown in popularity due to its ease to learn the sport, according to freshman Grace Beelman. Most players hadn’t played before trying out. As a fall sport it helps freshmen get to know each other before classes start. Field hockey advertised at events such as the Class of 2022 Signing Ceremony to recruit new players.

“I met a lot of my friends that are in my classes now,” Beelman said. “It helps you get the sense of the community in such a big school.”

Returning team members, such as senior captain Keely Roudebush, said they look forward to playing with the freshmen. Roudebush hopes they will continue to play all four years and be leaders for future players.

“It’s really cool how many freshmen tried out,” Roudebush said.