Le Journal Live

Soccer Prepares for Young Team

The soccer team is getting their head in the game with new coaches and training, in spite of the winter weather.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Soccer Prepares for Young Team

During a game last season, senior Meghan Frerking prepares to pass the ball in the first half of the soccer game against St. Michael the Archangel March 20, 2018.

Lilly Concannon

Lilly Concannon

Lilly Concannon

Kaitlin Lyman, Reporter

Spring sports are out of the gate and ready to kick off the season, and soccer has done just that. Preseason conditioning, led by senior and team captain Gabby Grimaldi, took place prior to the start of practices to prepare players for the upcoming season.

“We have been doing after school workouts on Mondays and Wednesdays, and we like to go outside and run,” senior and Grimaldi said. “We had to go inside many days because of the weather.”

Last year’s team graduated six starting seniors. The team is looking forward to two new freshmen who made varsity and adjusting to new positions.

“I think we have some players that can step up,” Grimaldi said. “Hopefully we’ll have some good freshman coming in, but I think we’re just going to be a pretty young team this year.”

The goalie program said a tough goodbye to alumna Afton Fennewald who broke the MSHSAA shutout record with 61 shutouts. She currently is the goalie at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

“It will be a little different with Afton gone because she was such a prominent figure,” sophomore Gabby Gaither said. “I have met the new JV coach, who was a previous goalie and she’s going to help us out.”

Joining the team this year is JV Coach Mary Quinn. Also working as an assistant coach is alumna Stephanie Ostrander ‘17 who played on the state championship team, and currently plays at Rockhurst University.

“It’s different being on the coaching side for sure because you get to see how the coaches were when we were on the team,” Ostrander said. “I want them to know that they can come to me if they need help because I have been in their shoes, and am still in their shoes being a current player.”

The team also has many fun traditions to look forward to such as themed practices, making a team scrapbook, the annual team sleepover and a senior roast as a final farewell.

“I will cherish all the friendships and relationships I have built through this team,” Grimaldi said.

Looking back on last year’s season the team was ranked number one in the nation only three weeks into the season by USA Today. The team also maintained an undefeated record until their final game at State quarterfinals against Helias Catholic School, which resulted in a shut-out, 0-4.

“I look forward to getting back into the season and getting to hang out with all of my teammates every day,” Grimaldi said. “I’m also looking forward to our games and getting to put on the Sion jersey again.”

Kaitlin Lyman, Reporter

Favorite Show: Friends

Spirit Animal: Dogs

Guilty Pleasure: People Watching

Pet Peeve: People chewing with their mouth open or any mouth noises

Favorite...