Le Journal Live

Dance Like There’s No Next Year

Senior Lily Muehlebach shows that it’s never too late to try new things.

Senior Lily Muehlebach prepares to begin her performance with the dance team at the pep assembly, Sep. 6.

Kamryn Rogers

Kamryn Rogers

Cecilia Mohacsi, Print Co-Editor-In-Chief

Their feet pound the gym floor as the fast-paced audition song begins and they hit each kick, shuffle and step with the beat of the music. The coach watches closely as the hopeful dancers relay what they have learned in a minute long performance. Most of the girls are freshmen, trying out their first year.

For senior Lily Muehlebach, this is her first and last time trying out for the team.

“I thought senior year is my last year, why not try it,” Muehlebach said. “Someone said to me ‘if you don’t do anything that scares you in life, you’re not going to get anywhere.”

Muehlebach participated in studio dance until her sophomore year and took a year off before deciding to dance again senior year. She is the only senior dancer who has not been on dance team all four years. Her sister had been on dance team during her high school years and told her it was something she should experience.

The dance team spends at least seven hours at practice together a week. Team members are also excited for Muehlebach to share other moments, such as traveling out of town, with the team. Veteran members took their new teammates out for an early morning breakfast to welcome them to the team.

“I’m excited for her to go on the bus ride to Chicago,” senior and dance team co-captain Megan Broomfield said. “It’s fun to have fresh eyes on the team and a new personality together.”

While the dance team spends time traveling to dance competitions over the year, they bring school spirit as well. From pep assemblies to Storm Stomp to games, their performances can be watched at several school events.

“I’m looking forward to being more involved with the school and being able to perform at games,” Muehlebach said.

Despite her years of experience with dance, Muehlebach said she has not had a lot of experience with kick lines. She has noticed the differences between dance team and what she was used to at her studio, requiring her to adjust to the dance team style.

“We’re doing a lot more conditioning,” Muehlebach said. “The dancing itself is different. You have to dance exactly like everyone else, so that’s a change.”

Dance team is like a family and the girls often stay connected for life.”

— Dance team coach Shelli Vaughan

Upperclassmen join the team every few years, according dance team coach of 19 years Shelli Vaughan, either because they are transfer students or, similar to Muehlebach, decided to try out later. She said she encourages people to never be afraid to try something new, set goals and work hard and hope the girls on the team take away a connection to their high school.

“Dance team is like a family and the girls involved often stay connected for life,” Vaughan said.

After the tryout song ended, Muehlebach froze in her final position, hoping it was enough. The new dance team was announced and her name was called. It would be a full season ahead, a year of possibilities.

“I’m going to push myself really hard this season and open up to all the girls on the team,” Muehlebach said.

Cecilia Mohacsi, Print Co-Editor-in-Chief

Favorite Show: The Office

Spirit Animal: Dolphin

Guilty Pleasure: Chocolate

Pet Peeve: Bad Drivers

Favorite Place to Visit: Germany

Kamryn Rogers, Features Editor

Favorite Show: Insecure

Spirit Animal: Cheetah

Guilty Pleasure: HGTV

Pet Peeve: Severely unorganized people

Favorite Place to Visit: Geneva,...